Re: Package review and comment wanted

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 05:17:45PM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> In debian/dirs, you only list the directories that you want to create
> with dh_installdirs - e.g. directories that the upstream Makefiles
> assumes to be present upon installation, or directories to which you
> want to move some files in your debian/rules file - a typical example
> would be moving some scripts to
> debian/tmp/usr/share/doc/$packagename/examples.

You don't use dh_installdirs for that, you use dh_installexamples.

> > *) Should I list the conffiles in a separate conffile?
>
> That depends on the debhelper compatibility level. Usually it is not
> necessary - read about it.

man 7 debhelper, BTW, in the section "Debhelper compatibility levels".

> > *) How do I automatically set the version number and perhaps a
> > timestamp in the program during packaging?
>
> I don't quite understand what you mean with this. Are you speaking about
> the output of your program when called with a "--version" option?

The version of the debian package you produce is taken from the package's
topmost changelog entry.  For timestamps, you can use touch(1), but I'm
having trouble coming up with why you'd want to stamp a file to a particular
time...

> In the description you say that it uses afio and tar, but you don't
> depend on tar.

No need to depend on tar, it's Essential.

> The changelog entries are not really well understandable for somebody
> who doesn't yet know what it's about.

I wouldn't necessarily count that as a major problem -- changelog entries
are for users of the package, not passers-by.  Of course, if even regular
users couldn't understand them, then it's time to rewrite.

- Matt