Re: How to get package in main with the same version to upgrade over a mentors.debian.net version?

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 08:48:55PM +0200, Remco Seesink wrote:
> I am preparing an updated package with an unsolved security bug.
> I would like to upload it to mentors.debian.net, but when it
> gets uploaded to main it will have the same version number as the
> one on mentors. I would to know if there is a way to upload to
> mentors and be sure it gets upgraded when it enters main.
>
> I had this problem before, but now it is worse because of the security
> bug.
>
> I looked at the policy and the reverse problem seems to be solved
> by using epochs. An negative epoch is not the way right? And how do
> I apply an epoch? Yada complains when I try to put an Version: field
> somewhere.
>
> Is there an other way to do it without having to bump the debian version?
> Or is that exactly what I should do?

Hmm... but why don't you want to simply bump this version?

IMHO 1.2.3-4 looks much better than 1:1.2.3-3.

And in fact I think the proper way would be to add exacly bumped
version, and in changelog set urgency=high (due to security bug).

Or maybe your problem is that you don't want to "start" in official
archives with for example -2 version?
If yes then I have no idea why ;)

regards
fEnIo

--
      _      Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40 | IRC:fEnIo
    _|_|_     32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Polska