Re: reporting FTBFS bugs

On 2004-05-27 Adeodato Simó <asp16@alu.ua.es> wrote:
[...]
> 1. if a package fails in any buildd machine, thats a FTBFS bug per
>    se, right?

It is not necessarily a bug in the package, if that is what you are
asking, some dependency might not be ready, the buildd might be
broken (out of diskspace) or toolchain might be installed in a buggy
version.

> 2. who can/should report FTBFS bugs when they occur in a buildd
>    machine? I've mostly seen them reported by the buildd's admin,
>    but cyrus-sasl2-mit failed on arm more than a month ago [1] (but
>    I noticed today) and there has been no bug report.

buildd-maintainers regularily check the build-logs, it is natural that
they often submit these bug-reports.

> 3. is it tracked anywhere (other than the bug report, non-existant
>    in this case) if this is being worked on? Having a month
>    passed, I'd assume that the maintainer isn't aware of this, but
>    I really can't tell.

Not that I am aware of. - You could check the archives of debian-arm.

>     So I'm mainly asking if it is OK to file the bug myself, and if
>     that should be reported elsewhere.

Yes, it is ok, and the BTS is imho the correct place.

>   TIA and sorry for the annoyance,

no problem, there was no annoyance involved. ;-)

>   [1] http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?arch=arm&pkg=cyrus-sasl2-mit

Hmm.

if /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -I../plugins
  -c -o dlopen.lo `test -f 'dlopen.c' || echo './'`dlopen.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/dlopen.Tpo" ".deps/dlopen.Plo"; \
else rm -f ".deps/dlopen.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -I../plugins -I../include -I/usr/include/kerberos
 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -I../plugins -I../include -I/usr/include/kerberos
make[3]: *** [dlopen.lo] Error 1
[long lines simply cut off]

Strange. The buildlog simply tells absolutely nothing.
            cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"