Re: RFS: patmv -- a bulk renaming tool

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:00:58PM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> There are several differences, though: patmv has logic to handle
> recursive renames in an intelligent way and has options for
> manipulating the whole path or the last component as an option.  In my
> opinion, it also handles file existence cases more robustly and
> generates more useful output.

Your examples are persuasive that patmv has some advantages over Perl's
rename.  I wonder whether it might be worthwhile to see if patmv could
replace rename in the perl package, though, since it appears to be
intended for an identical purpose.

I suppose on the other hand people might be more aware that the program
exists at all by virtue of a separate package.

(this is a little reminiscent of the recent debate over pdfmerge
<http://shorl.com/gumiraladufru>).

I might be willing to sponsor it; let me think about it a bit.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org