Re: RFS: stripclub - Online Comic Reader/Archiver

On Friday 09 April 2004 2:15 pm, elijah wright wrote:
> >      For the C programming language, this means the following
> >      compilation parameters should be used:
> >
> >           CC = gcc
> >           CFLAGS = -O2 -g -Wall
> >
> > though -O3 is probably OK in most cases.  You should keep the
> > optimizations options as conservative as possible, unless you
> > really
>
> in my experience compiling stuff with -O3 just means that people on
> other architectures (where GCC may do odd things) will eventually
> probably file bugs on your package that can be fixed by moving back
> to -O2.
>
> I've seen this happen on alpha repeatedly, and i seem to recall that
> sparc and powerpc occasionally have this issue as well.

Not to disagree--sometimes the optimizations -O3 does have problems on
some architectures either because it exposes bugs in the software or
because of compiler problems--but it would be more helpful in general
to find why -O3 is causing a problem and either 1) fix the offending
code if it's the packages problem, or 2) file a bug against GCC so that
it can actually get fixed instead of just worked around and ignored. =)

Granted, if you're not willing to go through the extra effort to do
that, -O2 might be a better choice...

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>