Re: Separating packages.

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 11:49, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > package
> >       * Contains all the files not in the other packages.
> >       * Depends on -backgrounds, -icons, and -examples (or only those
> >         required, you may want to leave out -examples from the
> >         dependency list).
>
> I suggest recommends or suggests here. If it is really a depend, then
> they should be in the same package. Even recommend sounds a bit strong
> for things like that.

Why?

If the data packages are useful on their own, and if they are
sufficiently large, then a split is certainly a good idea -- at least
from the user's point of view. But if the main package depends on the
data, then not having a depends-relationship would break the software.
I'm sure that's the least desirable option?

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>