new maintainer application question

Hi,

 I am applied[1] for a Debian Developer role, but as I see, Front Desk
is stalling; I can't see any progress on applicants who have been
advocated. So I have a couple of questions:
- may I hope that Front Desk will assign an AM to me before Sarge is
  released? (IMHO not :( ).
- is it ok that a not-yet-DD has packages in the stable (to-be) version
  of Debian, in Sarge? (IMHO yes).
- should I work on my packages in Sarge/Sid, or helping others with
  their packages[2], so hopefully make Sarge release sooner?

Thanks,
Laszlo/GCS
[1] http://nm.debian.org/nmstatus.php?email=gcs%40lsc.hu
[2] F.e.: https://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-mailman/