dpkg-shlibdeps and libtool interaction

I am packaging libhid for Debian, which I wrote and prepared with
libtool. Next to the library, the libhid0 package also includes
a binary /usr/bin/libhid-config, which is linked against libhid0.

When I make the Debian package, dh_shlibdeps gives the following
warning:

  dh_shlibdeps -v
    dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/libhid0.substvars
      debian/libhid0/usr/bin/libhid-config
      debian/libhid0/usr/lib/libhid.so.0.0.0
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libhid.so.0

Obviously it can't find the library, as that library is currently
being installed. Therefore:

  diamond:..install/libhid-0.1.11> ldd debian/libhid0/usr/bin/libhid-config
    libhid.so.0 => not found
    [...]

The functionality of the package is not impacted, but I am still
curious what's going on. Could you tell me how to get rid of this
warning?

Thanks,

`. `'`