Re: Should I always clean in debian/rules before making binary?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 03:19:55PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> - In the install target, you would call something like
>
>   $(MAKE) install prefix=debian/tmp/usr

It's easier to use DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/tmp if DESTDIR support is
available; that way you get less confused by /etc.

> - From a policy point of view, it doesn't hurt to call clean before
>   debian/rules binary, but if you do that, I'd do it in debian/rules,
>   not by hand. However, I recommend not to do it.

I'd call it a bug to do that. I believe the buildds, and certainly
dpkg-buildpackage, do something morally equivalent to 'debian/rules
build && fakeroot debian/rules binary'.

Use dpkg-buildpackage (or debuild, a wrapper around it which sorts out
fakeroot and the like) rather than 'debian/rules binary'.