Re: pbuilder on Woody

Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo <fenio@o2.pl> schrieb:

> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to run Sid chrooted environment on Woody?
> I've tried to do it with pbuilder, but unfortunatelly I've failed :/
>
> Firstly, debootstrap had too old /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/sid
> script, so I've changed it to the proper script from Sid.
>
> Then I've got segfault while configuring base-files package.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Using old software :-|

I am using pbuilder backported from unstable (in fact I'm using 0.94),
together with some other backports and

export EXTRA_CONFIGFILE=""; export FORCE_CONFNEW=""

to work around a bash bug.

By the way, there's also the possibility of keeping a permanent
chroot. While pbuilder is best for verifying build-dependencies and
preventing other FTBFS bugs, a permanent chroot is much more convenient
for application testing purposes: It's much faster to do just
Ctrl-Alt-F8 instead of untarring - working/building - retarring. There
is a short explanation in

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot

(including how to set up init to get a login prompt on Terminal 8), and
there used to be a short pdf document around somewhere, where it is
described how to even get an xdm/kdm/whatever login. Ah, there it is:

http://javierlinares.com/debian/docs/chroot/chroot.pdf

The only thing that's missing in these docs is that I found one has to
manually unmount the chroot proc filesystem. I created an init script:

~$ cat /etc/init.d/umountchrootproc
#! /bin/sh
#
# umountchrootproc      unmount proc in chroot, so that the parent partition can be unmounted
#

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
CHROOT_PROC="proc-sid"

case $1 in
    start|stop)
    echo -n "Unmounting chroot proc mounts... "
    for proc in $CHROOT_PROC; do
        umount $proc
    done
    echo "Done."