Re: How to adopt Debian packages

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:40:10PM +0100, Alexander Schunk wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> ich m?chte gerne folgende Debian pakete, die zur
> Adoption frei sind, ?bernehmen.

> [I want to take over the following Debian packages that are up for
> adoption]

First, this list is an English list, so please write English so that all
subscribers can read what you mean.

Please understand that maintaining a package means taking responsability
and a commitment to keep maintaining these packages. Therefore, you're
expected to get familiar with Debian packaging.

> -dhelp
> -Kernel-Patch
> -pppoeconfig
> -auto-gpg
>
> Ich hab bereits die ehemaligen Maintainer kontaktiert
> und mir die Quellen runtergeladen.

Good. If you really want to take them over, please state your intentions
in the corresonding bugs, like http://bugs.debian.org/210439

This way, other people can see that.

> Mein Problem ist nun, wie ich die Pakete mit meinem
> Namen wieder hochladen kann.

If you have read these three documents:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/

You can find instructions here on how to ask help:
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-helpme

And, that list, debian-mentors@lists.debian.org, is indeed the list to
ask for sponsors to get your package looked at, you getting feedback
about it, and eventually, some Debian developer can upload it for you.

Alternatively, you can also consider providing a NMU (Non-Maintainer
upload) for those packages, to fix the Release Critical bugs. They get
you with somewhat less responsibility for that package: you're not
expected to maintain the package in that case.

The easiest you can do, is simply submit a patch to the correct bug (by
mailing 1234@bugs.debian.org), you can do that without any privileges or
authorization from others, and it is highly appreciated.

> Ich benutze T-online ?ber Windows als Browser.

Most Debian work is not being done with a browser, but with email and
ftp. You do need a Debian system if you want to maintain or fix a Debian
package of course! I don't really understand what you mean with this
line.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar