Re: Is this sufficient for an application?

"Florian Effenberger" <floeff@arcor.de> schrieb:

> Hi Adrian,
>

>> Of course, if you're going to build an advocacy/marketing group
>> for Debian (which would certainly be a good idea, IMHO.), this
>> topic has to be reviewed again.
>
> That's something I think of, yes! :)

And I think for such a purpose it would be really good to be able to say
"... is a project ...blabla... by volunteers. I am one of the members of
the project" instead of "... And I like it very much and try to help as
much as possible".

I am not a marketing guy, and not yet a DD. As a packager, I had to
write to a copyright holder, it wasn't a programming geek, but a famous
biology professor who probably doesn't know much about Linux and Open
Source, and the coding was done by his Ph.D. students. I wrote about
license issues and I found it very hard to find the right words. I
avoided any "we" because I couldn't really claim to be part of "we", and
put in "the Debian Project", "Debian". And I used lots of impersonal
sentences with lots of woulds and passive clauses, instead of "I
can", "I will", "I suggest".

For somebody trying to promote Debian GNU/LInux as a system, this will
probably be more severe.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie