Re: Maintainer: field in .changes

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:05:59PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 13:07, Frank Küster wrote:
> > Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> schrieb:
> > > * Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> [2004-01-20 11:36]:
> > >
> > > Does policy prohibit UTF-8 in control anywhere?
> >
> > zgrep -i -C3 utf /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.txt.gz
> >
> > yields only the recommendation for the changelog, and the respective
> > footnote.
>
> Which says you can't use it in package control fields until dpkg has
> better support[0], iirc.

Nothing actually breaks in dpkg; it just doesn't recode the control
fields to the current locale for output by 'dpkg -s' and the like.
(Likewise 'apt-cache show'.) This might make it a stretch for policy to
recommend it, but I see no reason why packages can't start using UTF-8
for things like maintainer names before then.