Re: Maintainer: field in .changes

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 09:10, Frank Küster wrote:

> Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> wrote:
>
> > Maintainer: field in debian/control contains their ASCIIfied[0] name,
> [...]
> > [0] this must match that given in changelog for bugs to correctly close,
> >     so not using UTF-8 characters is important.
>
> What are the problems with UTF-8 in control? I am using UTF-8 in
> debian/changelog and debian/control. I've done that because I read that
> changelog has to be in utf-8 before I heard of any problems with utf-8
> in control.

You're breaking policy by doing that ;-)  policy only allows UTF-8 in
debian/changelog and not in debian/control ... so if you were to conform
to policy you'd have

"Frank Küster <frank@kuesterei.ch>" in debian/changelog and
"Frank Kuster <frank@kuesterei.ch>" in debian/control (s/ü/u/)

katie would compare "Frank Küster and "Frank Kuster" and assume they
were different people, so treat the upload as an NMU and tag the bugs as
"fixed" rather than closing them.

So you either have to ASCIIfy your name in both, or break policy and put
UTF-8 in debian/control ... given that some AMs are particularly
pedantic (I used to be :p) it's better for the application to be policy
perfect and break it later once you've got the account <g>

(then you say "them's ain't so much rules, as guidelines missy")

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?