Request for advice: typespeed postinst

I'm in the process of adopting the typespeed package. I've made packages
with a new upstream version, and I'm happy with the packages I've made
overall, with the exception of the postinst file I've inherited from the
previous maintainer.

There are a few things I'm worried about:

- does the procedure for dealing with the previous broken version make
  sense?
- should the various messages being printed to stdout use debconf?
- does the high score file update procedure make sense?

In particular, I'm dubious of the use of a known md5sum to check whether
the file has changed or not. My understanding of the high score files
are that they are in a binary format. I suspect that empty high score
files might be different depending on endianness etc. (which makes the
md5sum test useless).

I'm more generally uncertain of the highscore update procedure as a
whole. If the high score file format changes, but upstream provides no
way for migrating the files, what should be done? Does it make sense at
all to generate new empty high score files with each upgrade if the
files that have changed (non-empty) are left alone?

A copy of the postinst file as it was in the last version of the package
made by the previous maintainer is available at
<http://muse.19inch.net/~daf/misc/typespeed.postinst>. I have made some
changes since, such as changing the package to use dpkg-statoverride.

--
Dafydd