Re: Debconf problem: Question asked twice

Frank Küster wrote:
> It wasn't me ;-) One of the maintainers of tetex brought up a
> modification to fix a bug which altered the seen flag, and I wanted to
> suggest a somewhat different approach. I agree, however, with Atsuhito
> that the question has to be shown again to anybody who has answered it
> before, because there were some non-debconf'ed defaults we now
> integrated _and_ changed.
>
> > unless you know *exactly*
> > what you're doing. Since you see the question twice, you don't.
> > debconf-devel(5) for details.
>
> I had only faintly in mind that the config script is run twice... I've
> had a look at other config scripts that use the fset ... seen command,
> but they all do this "internally", i.e. only in internal checking loops
> etc.
>
> For tetex-bin, however, we need to set the flag for every user. I think
> the only solution is to create an additional question that's only used
> internally to store the information wether the setting of the flag has
> been done yet.

I'm sorry I was short with you earlier. I try to be more helpful on
-memtors.

Really the only sane way to use the seen flag is if there is a peice of
external state that you can check before setting the flag. Some good
candidates are:

 - some program is failing, so you know it's ok to set the seen flag and
   display an error (note)
 - a file has a particular value, and you always modify this file to
   have some other value after setting the flag

I'd be leery of using a debconf question as your semaphore, but I
suppose it might work. If you're going this route you could just make
up your own flag and add it to the question whose seen flag you are
modfying.

--
see shy jo