Re: randomplay: command-line shuffle music player

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 09:45:37PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Been there... my version is -shuffle +recursion.
> > There is quark also, which is a client/server design with both command
> > line and gnome system tray (err notification area that is now, maybe it
> > even works with any freedesktop notification areas) clients. It does
> > random and loop playing, but nothing much more, and is maybe a bit
> > feable/immature on handling playlists. Well, you can provide a simple
> > textual playlist file, or hand append files, but that's it.
> In other words, it's one of these bulky graphical things you click on and
> you can't do anything that it's author didn't think of...  however the
> ability to "hand append files" gives us at least some hope.

You didn't read what i wrote, did you ? It is a client/server design, with a
server named quark which plays the music, and has nothing whatsoever to
do with any graphical thing. There are two client, one being the command
line charm-quark, which allow you to communicate with this server with a
propper communication protocol, and allow you to play songs, set some
flags, play a playlist and so on.

There is also a graphical client which does the same.

> What I want, is something that can take a list of files and passes all
> "mp3"s to "mpg123", all "ogg"s to "ogg123", all "mid"s to "timidity" and
> all "wav"s to "play", ignoring the rest, all while preserving the order.

Ok, this is something else, i agree, altough i question the utility of
such a design, especially in the face of the fact that mostly the sound
device can be opened only once. Also it is contrary to the idea of
having a library which can play lot of different song types, instead of
many programs, but i guess it is only a different way of handling this.

> How do I produce the list, it's my business.  It usually comes from "find"
> or from the shell, like:
> find|bogosort|xargs 123                  # shuffle
> 123 ~/mp3/Dimmu\ Borgir\For\ All\ Tid\*  # a LP in order
> 123 ~/mp3/some_single_file.mp3
> My version defaults to `find` starting from the current directory when
> it's run without any arguments, but it would be equally good to make it so
> when a filename received is a directory as opposed to a regular file the
> script does a recursive search.

Ok, same as the playlist quark can handle then.

> > It also doesn't die when you relaunch the X server, which is rather nice
> > when doing X driver work :)))
> Why won't you use one of the real text consoles then?

Why should i ?

> You see, I don't use X unless I have to, but if you're already in X, it's
> faster to just use xmms and its playlist.  Your situation is so rare that

Because xmms is too complicated for my use. I just want something to
play songs and don't have to bother about it. Which is easily accesible
from the gnome panel, without being too intrusive. Quark is
especifically designed be the contrary of what xmms and his heavy
interface is, its author using the 'Anti-GUI' term for it.

> you can do what I and other X-haters do and use a text-based program on
> another console.

Sure sure, you can do that too, it is more inconvenient, and as my X
driver is not yet accelerated, and uses the shadowfb, it takes ages to
switch to console, which is not nice.

Friendly,

Sven Luther