Re: Howto make one Debian package out of 2 source tar.gz?

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 03:47:17PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
[...]
> The program is distributed as two tar.gz files, molmol-2k.2.0-src.tar.gz
> and molmol-2k.2.0-doc.tar.gz. However they have to make one Debian
> Package (or at least be mixed), since after compilation everything that
> comes out of the src.tar.gz is the single binary, whereas manpages,
> internal menu files and so on are in the doc.tar.gz.

> What is the right way (or where can I read it in the Developers
> reference or policy, if I just missed the section) to make a Debian
> package out of that? Should I first mangle the two to produce one
> "faked" orig.tar.gz, or is there some magic I can do to dpkg-source or
> dpkg-buildpackage to produce one Package and diff.gz from the two?

Hello,
Currently dpkg-* cannot do that (iirc it will change in dpkg-source
v2), you can either do what you proposed ("faked" orig.tar.gz) or use
something like dbs. I would not choose DBS, unless I'd have used it
anyway, because the package required lots of patches. DBS is a little
bit complicated and does not integrate too well with debhelper.

I'd probably go for

molmol-2k/
molmol-2k/molmol-2k-src/<its_contents>
molmol-2k/molmol-2k-doc/<its_contents>

However *pretty* *please* document how one goes about generating
molmol-2k_2.0.orig.tar.gz from the files found on molmols ftp-site. -
I remember how I tried to package (for private use) netscape 4.78
based on Debian 4.77 sources. It was next to impossible, because
Debian's orig.tar.gz consisted of a undocumented major repacking of
upstream tarballs.

BTW is "2k" part of the name or of the version?
           cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"