Re: Build non-free ncompress

Kenneth Pronovici wrote:
> Anyway, now that I've done all of this cleanup, I've realized that the
> package won't move into testing until I build it on all of the
> architectures it was built on for woody.  Right now, according to the
> excuses list, I am missing alpha, arm, hppa, ia64, powerpc, s390 and
> sparc.  I know that in order to take care of this, I will have to build
> ncompress by hand on each of these architectures.  What I can't figure
> out is exactly how to do that.
>
> According to the machines list, I can get access to a machine running
> sid for hppa, powerpc, sparc and mipsel.  This leaves alpha, arm, ia64
> and s390 before ncompress can move into testing, and then also m68k and
> mips before I can support all of the official architectures.
>
> What am I supposed to do with all of those architectures for which no
> sid environment exists?  I notice that some of the machines have
> (+chroots) listed.  Is this the way I can build for sid on a machine
> running woody?  If so, where can I find instructions on how to do it?

If I were you I'd maybe build it on some of these architectures if I
felt motivated to do so, and then file a bug on ftp.debian.org to get
the old builds removed for the other architectures that are no longer
autobuilding non-free software. If they don't want to autobuild it, why
waste their CPU time and your time trying to do it manually. Ftp master
is generally responsive to such requests.

--
see shy jo