Re: What to do if $PACKAGE needs $ACCOUNT to _build_

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 21:01:07 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 08:51:00PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> How am I supposed to handle this? Shall I change the build mechanisms
>> so that the account is not needed at build time, shall I pester
>> upstream to have that changed, or is there a workaround available?
>
>At _build_ time?  This makes no sense to me.  This would prevent anyone from
>building the software as a user other than root.
>
>Or did you mean at install time?

I mean at install time, I got my terminology confused. debian/rules
build works fine, fakeroto debian/rules install bombs if the account
is not there.

>In either case, just disable whatever code is doing this.

It is acceptable to add code testing for account presence and not
chowning if the account is not present? That way, I would be able to
give back patches to upstream.

Greetings
Marc