Maintenance of phpgroupware

Hi Luca, debian-mentors.

I'd like to ask for advice on the following:
Luca has RFA'd phpgroupware quite a while ago. It also has a number of bug
reports of "elevated severities" (above normal), for most of which there seem to
be patches.
I would like to either NMU or, better yet, find some more people to team up with
for maintenance of phpgroupware.
- Which is better?
- Would an alioth project be needed to/help attract collaborators? (If yes, can
I get a sponsor for that.)
- Should I look for a team first or first prepare a release closing some bugs,
set up stuff, adopt things and then look?

Rationale: I do care about phpgroupware, use it every day, do some digging into
errors when I encounter bugs, but don't use php as my favorite web scripting
language (though I get around rather well as long as I'm with an api reference).
Especially, I would hate for Anthony or his release deputies to remove phpgw
from the archives.

Cheers

T.