Re: Java AWT for Debian?

José Luis Tallón <jltallon@adv-solutions.net> wrote:
> Hi all
Hi!

> 	Regarding      my     recently     packaged      "webCDwriter"     [
> http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/jhaeger/webCDwriter/ ],  i have found
> *the* problem:  It needs AWT to  be compiled....  This has  not been a
> problem before, since upstream includes an already compiled and signed
> applet in JAR format... yet

The best practise is to build a package from sources.

>   Now i have mostly solved every bug found during my own testing phase
> and repackaged it almost completely (  again! ) -- splitting it into 4
> subpackages from  the previous  2-- i must  solve the problem  that in
> won't compile in Debian ( Unless i make the webcdcreator a binary-only
> package -- sources  to the applet are available  in the source package
> nonetheless )

What are the errors? (You can maybe move this discussion on debian-java)

> I tried with gcj-3.2 + libpja-java , to no avail
> Eclipse packages are currently br0ken in unstable

classpath  has some  java.awt  classes and  there  is a  jikes-classpath
package.

> The program was designed for jdk-1.4

So, why  not compile it with  j2sdk-1.4 (there is a  Debian package from
Blackdown[1]) and put your package in contrib?

> Any suggestions as to how to make it compile?
>
> Shall   i   just   forget  about   it   and   let   it  be   just   an
> architecture-independent binary-only package  ( this implies including
> the upstream-precompiled JAR within the source package ) ?

This is a solution but I think  if you can not build it in Debian, there
are few chances to get it run in Debian! :-(

> After reading the license at Sun's JDK download pages, i fully understand
> there is *no way* in which this license can be made compatible with DFSG
> and hence be packaged. Any alternatives?

http://classpath.org [2]  The package  is in Debian  and there  are some
wrapper for VM and compilers[3].

Best regards,

Footnotes: