Handling multiple-wm packages?

Hi,

I am the maintainer (and author) of the webhttrack package (http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/webhttrack.html) and a fresh Debian Developper, and I have a question regarding the packaging policy for packages that fit multiple window manager environments.

webhttrack is a web frontend to httrack (a website copier), and rely on www-browser to work:

- the user launches the program
- an internal and temporary webserver is setup
- the default browser (www-browser, or sensible-browser related browser) is then launched with the newly created server
- the user is then able to use the program

It is convenient to have a direct shortcut to launch the application (this package was mainly created for beginners who can not/don't want to use the commandline version, and the use should be as simple as possible). For that, I added two specific items:

For the gnome desktop entry:
/usr/share/gnome/apps/Internet/WebHTTrack.desktop

And the "standard" menu entry:
/usr/lib/menu/webhttrack

But I imagine that this isn't very clean, especially if no window environment is installed (/usr/share/gnome will be created specifically and will not be used) ; so my question is:

- should I stick with the current method (I think this is the best option imho)
- should I detect in "live" if there is a window environment installed? (but what if the user installs it after this package?)

I could also create multiple packages (-gnome, -xxx) but this would be rather overkill (complexity for users?) for a single menu entry