Re: How do you upload/build sponsored packages?

Colin Watson wrote:
> I actually don't see how dpkg-buildpackage's
> sign-immediately-after-build defaults ever make sense (except when
> dpkg-buildpackage was originally written, when debsign didn't yet
> exist). Why would you want to waste time signing a package you haven't
> tested yet? Surely the order should be build, test, sign.
>
> Accordingly, I have DEBUILD_DPKG_BUILDPACKAGE_OPTS="-uc -us", together
> with a bunch of other options that don't matter here, in ~/.devscripts.
> I've never yet found that I want the other behaviour.

Would it be somehow possible to change the default behavior?

Using 'debuild' it makes it relatively easy for people to build
packages.  Even those not familiar with Debian's build systems can
make small tweaks to the source files and then say 'debuild' and
everything magically works for them.

But just saying 'debuild' does not _really_ work because of the
signing steps unless they are all set up for that too.  When I tell
them to use 'debuild -uc -us' suddenly the eyes glaze over and this
nice simple build approach becomes completely incomprehensible.  It is
almost enough to create 'dbuild' which would supply those options
automatically.

I think after this discussion I am leaning more toward automatically
seting up /etc/devscripts.conf with these options for my users.
Unfortunately the downside is that the behavior does not transfer
exactly from the systems I administer to other stock systems.

Bob