Re: subdirectories in /usr/lib/cgi-bin? (and html-pages)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, [iso-8859-1] Jörgen Hägg wrote:

> > Nooooooooooooooo.  /usr/share/doc must be removable without any untoward
> > effects on the operation of the system.  /usr/share/<packagename> is the
> > place to be, with an appropriate alias linking (probably)
> > http://localhost/<packagename>/ to /usr/share/<packagename>.
>
> Is there a standard way of adding an alias?

Not that I've found, although one of the things on my wishlist is "have a
deep and meaningful look at wwwconfig-common", which IIRC is supposed to
support shenanigans like this.

> Otherwise it seems as if adding the link would be web-server specific.

Yup.

> Unless the link is put directly in /var/www, which the policy think
> is bad (or at least not good). I mean, /var/www could contain just about
> anything, including something that was named '/var/www/packagename'.

I've always considered /var/www to be the site admin's playground, so I
leave well out of it.

What I am wondering is, apart from a webapp (which can afford the overhead
of scripting required to support inserting bits and bobs into webservers),
what sort of packages need to put webserver-accessible pages up?

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16