Re: debian/rules and wrong run-time library

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 09:25:45PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> If you use the non-standard prefix libtool afaik adds --rpath to
> the linker options.

Ah, "non-standard" is the key.  So when using a prefix of /usr, which is standard, the path
is *not* added in the executable, so the it searches the normal paths and /usr/local/lib
happens to be in the search path before /usr/lib.

In other words, nothing is broken.

> > dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for
> > /usr/local/lib/libswish-e.so.2 (libswish-e.so.2)
> >
> > dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared
> > library libswish-e (soname 2, path /usr/local/lib/libswish-e.so.2,
> > dependency field Depends)
> [...]
>
> You are probably looking for something like
> dh_shlibdeps -ldebian/libswish-e/usr/lib

I guess I don't understand what those messages are referring to.  Dependencies as in Debian
packages (e.g. package swish-e depends on package libswish-e)?

My guess is dpkg-shlibdeps is just looking at the ldd output and then making sure those libs
are listed as depends.

If that's the case then I would need to say that libswish-e is not a dependency, or a
dependency that is me by the swish-e package itself.  Is that possible?

I don't intend on building a separate package just for libswish-e.

> You haven't read the library packaging guide
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/
> have you?

Nope, just ran dh_make from the basic howto.  Will read now, though.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org