Re: new package - don't know how to compile

"Matthias Hofer" <matthias.hofer@arz.co.at> writes:

> But i've problems to compile failsafe-mgr, the graphical GUI (written in
> Java) for configuring the cluster.
> There is no configure-script out of the box, the doc says to give
>
>     aclocal
>     autoheader
>     automake --add-missing
>     autoconf
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
>
> but when I after all give "./configure", the is an error:

> ./configure: line 534: syntax error near unexpected token
> `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(sysadm_failsafe,'
> ./configure: line 534: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(sysadm_failsafe, 0.9.1a)'

I'd try automake-1.7; just 'automake' et al. use automake-1.4, for
historical reasons.  So, try

  aclocal-1.7
  autoheader
  automake-1.7 --add-missing
  autoconf
  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

If you're interested in digging a little deeper: autoconf runs m4, a
macro processor, to turn either configure.ac or configure.in into
configure, which should wind up being a Bourne shell script.  It reads
macro definitions from aclocal.m4; aclocal, in turn, generates that
from macros in /usr/share/aclocal and acinclude.m4.  So you might
check that all of those parts are there; the error you're getting is
consistent with aclocal not finding all of its parts, or even not
getting run at all before you run autoconf.

(The other parts: autoheader parses configure.{ac,in} to produce a
default config.h.in; automake turns Makefile.am into Makefile.in, in
this and all referenced child directories.  configure generally turns
foo.in into foo with some variable substitutions.)

	-- Abra Mitchell