new package - don't know how to compile

Hello out there!

I use Debian GNU/Linux since quite some time now and want to package SGI's failsafe (Bug #126514), which seems to be the most complete and mature HA-solution for GNU.

But i've problems to compile failsafe-mgr, the graphical GUI (written in Java) for configuring the cluster.
There is no configure-script out of the box, the doc says to give

    aclocal
    autoheader
    automake --add-missing
    autoconf
    ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

but when I after all give "./configure", the is an error:

./configure: line 534: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(sysadm_failsafe,'
./configure: line 534: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(sysadm_failsafe, 0.9.1a)'

what can I do?

Thank you in advance.
GNU/Linux is a wigwam: no Windows, no Gates, and an apache inside.