Re: Guide to update_excuses.html?

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 04:45:09AM -0400, David B Harris wrote:
> Hey everybody :)
>
> With the recent activity with respect to Sarge, I'm looking through
> update_excuses.html, and quite frankly I have very little idea as to how
> one would parse the output. Specifically:
>
> [ david@willow: ~/ ]$ grep-excuses gqmpeg
> -gqmpeg (0.20.0-1 to -)
>     Package is broken, will try to remove

Based on a recent discussion I overheard on IRC, packages that are
thouroughly broken in testing are going to be removed, along with
their dependancies... (I think this was a manual process by AJ)
Looking at the dependancies for -gqmpeg, I susect that libvorbis is
one of those pacakges. This is good because if libvorbis and everything
that depends on it is pull, the next time it tries to drop into Testing,
only it and stuff that's been recompiled with the new ABI will fall into
testing. This is a significantly good idea, and it's probably a much
cleaner way than forcing libvorbis in despite breaking things (like
libc6 was recently, although having a testing distro without glibc is
a bit different from a testing distro without libvorbis. :-)

> [ david@willow: ~/ ]$ grep-excuses ipband
> ipband (0.7.2-1 to 0.7.2-1.1)
>     Maintainer: David B Harris
>     262 days old (needed 10 days)
>     Valid candidate
>     Depends: ipband libpcap
> [ david@willow: ~/ ]$

This one says that ipband is a valid candidate, has been for 262 days,
and it depends on libpcap (which is also a valid candidate)...
Given that libpcap was an API change last time I looked (just like
libvorbis) it's probably also a good candidate for being removed. And
it looks like the ipband upload was just an NMU for the new version
of libpcap.

> gqmpeg I'm rather confused about especially, I can't find any way it's
> broken, at least on i386 and according to
> http://qa.debian.org/debcheck.php?dist=testing&package=gqmpeg

> If somebody could point me to a guide on how one should interpret
> update_excuses.html output, I'd appreciate it :)

I dunno if there's a guide apart from
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing
I usually ask questions on debian-devel@l.d.o or on irc.
Sometimes I even get answers. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.