Re: RFS: qbrew -- a homebrewer's recipe calculator

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 12:03:04PM -0800, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2003 11:46:39 +0100
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 12:39:00PM -0800, Fielder George Dowding
> > wrote:
> > > I am attempting to become the maintainer for Defoma, a package
> > > that has been orphaned for over two months (#180188). I have
> > > successfully downloaded the .deb, expanded it, and repackaged the
> > > .deb using the various tools for doing so.
> >
> > Ugh! Don't do that! Get the source package and modify it.
>
> Whoops! I should have pointed out Defoma is a set of perl scripts,
> which apparently suffers from the same lintian problem as do other
> packages containing perl scripts.

Hm. Defoma doesn't have any files in /usr/lib/perl5, which is where the
lintian problems that have been discussed recently here lie ...

> > > I ran lintian (which produced a couple of mild complaints), but
> > > I don't have "linda" and can't find it.
> >
> > 'apt-get install linda' on testing or unstable.
>
> It appears I will have to set up a testing and unstable box to deal
> with this. I must keep my stable box for production. Is there any
> advice along these lines?

You don't necessarily have to run testing or unstable to develop
packages, but it does help in terms of reproducing bug reports. (For
what it's worth, you also don't necessarily have to run linda; I haven't
got into the habit of doing so yet. It's certainly a good idea to run at
least one of lintian or linda.)

You can use the pbuilder package to set yourself up an unstable chroot,
or, if you want to roll your own, see:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tips.en.html#s-chroot-debian

(That page has a typo: "debootstrap woody" should be "debootstrap sid",
I think. Osamu?)

Cheers,