Correct version numbering for pre-Versions?

Dear all,

I have a question regarding the correct version numbering when upstream
versions like 1.2-pre3 come into play, meaning the third pre-release
version of the to-be version 1.2

Of course I wouldn't want to put such a pre-Version into the Debian
archive. But to be able to provide an up-to-date version as soon as 1.2
is released, I would like to build test packages and perhaps share them
with others (e.g. my sponsor). So there is some need for correct version
numbering.

Of course the cleanest way would be to have separate version numbering
for development and stable branches, like it is with the linux kernel
(but even there, things like 2.4.20-pre1 exist). 1.1-pre2.3 or the like
would also work, but all this means upstream have to change their
version numbering.

So, as long as upstream hasn't agreed to change this (or even stated
they never will), what should I do? In the special case where I came
across this, it's even worse: The development versions for to-be 1.2 are
numbered 1.2-1 to 1.2-4, and I fear the release will be just 1.2.

Should I just drop upstream versions for the packages of development
versions, and use "0.`date -$right_format`"? Or what else?

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie