Re: How to fix an upgrade bug to woody?

* Matt Zimmerman (mdz@debian.org) [030429 18:49]:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 01:17:55PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > what to do with an upgrade bug to woody? The bug just makes the programm
> > (it's a getty) to fail _once_ (and only in special envrionments) and after
> > that it works right without any manual intervention. The bug is
> > http://bugs.debian.org/136403

> When it fails, does it respawn (meaning that the failure is automatically
> recovered)?  If not, then this bug could cause a loss of connectivity to the
> system, as mgetty could be used for the console.  I would suggest fixing the
> bug for stable.

1. It respawns and with respawning the bug is gone away for that line
(the bug is only that waiting mgettys aren't restarted by the update
script; after restarting that's done automatically after failing the
missing step has happend).

2. The bug doesn't exist for console, because it happens only with
callback mode (that means you're calling with modem, the modem rejects
the call, the called computer calls back via modem), and callback is
fundamentally incompatible with terminals.

(If the bug could have any implications on not accessing the system
any more, that would certainly be a very serious bug that has to be
fixed ASAP. But it just makes exactly _one_ call per line fail, and
only if configured for callback support.)

Cheers,
Andi
--
   http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/
   Fachbegriffe des Schienenverkehrs #1         von Marc Haber in dasr