Re: RFS: readpst - Converts Outlook PST files to mbox and others

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Kenneth Pronovici wrote:

> Sounds like a cool app.  However, what are the "legal issues" that have
> caused upstream development to stop?  I think those probably need to be
> clarified before your package can be uploaded to Debian (at least, I'd
> personally want clarification before I could sponsor you).

Very mysterious, that's for sure.  If it's really serious (what legal issue
isn't?) upstream may be gagged from commenting (in any way, even "No
Comment" can possibly be in breach of a court order).

It seemed to me, though, from the wording of the on-hold message from Dave
Smith that it might be a sourceforge-based issue:

"Development and distribution of Libpst from Sourceforge is now on hold.
This is die to Legal issues."

The interesting bit is "...from Sourceforge".  Perhaps it's only sourceforge
which is causing the trouble.  If that's the case, I'm willing to throw
upstream a bone and host it myself.  Of course, if it's a "libpst is in
breach of our bullshit patent #DEADBEEF" problem, then he's dead in the
water no matter what.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16