Re: orphaned package (udhcp)

Hi

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:44:32AM +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Last DWN announced that udhcp, a package i use, is orphaned.
> If no one else is interested in it, I'd be happy to maintain it.
>
> So. I've read the new maintainers guide and other suggested readings,
> but it seems very difficult: all the mentors and advocates and signings
> and stuff. Is it at all possible, or it really is that complicated? I'd really
> like to 'give back' to the Debian community, as i've gratefully used it for
> ~5 years.

I'm not a DD myself but I also read the debian policy/reference/new
maint guide and a bunch of other information on the debian
website/project. First it might seem pretty complicated but the closer you
look at it, the simpler the process will seem to you. As a matter of
fact the people responsible for taking care of new applicants made the
process a lot simpler. But what you are looking for is some
more information on that subject and that's where I can 'hopefully'
help. It probably does good if you read application reports from other NM's
at the following list: debian-newmaint@lists.debian.org
That should give you some more insight on how things work.
The following page is also something you should take a look at(if you
haven't already done that):
http://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint
There you probably get the best info on what you have to do in order
to become a DD.

> the first thing that was mentioned in the NMT was a 'contact'.

Now what it basically meant by 'initial contact' is the
following(there are other steps mentioned too but I guess the
following ones are the most important ones):
* You need to identify yourself somehow in some ways. You need to get
your key signed by somebody. If there is no one around you there are
other ways to get your key signed, but if you take a look at the following page
you will get better information though:
http://nm.debian.org
(keysigning info)
http://nm.debian.org/gpg.php
* You also need an advocate for the NM process. You might want to read
the following thread(I thought it was a pretty interesting discussion
giving some insight on what is expected of a DD)
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2003/debian-mentors-200304/msg00051.html
* ......if you have your key signed, an advocate and you have proven
your skills .... ;-) than the chances are really good to be welcomed
on board as a Debian DD.

Since being a DD is a _job_ you do voluntarily, you need to apply for
the job in some way. The process of application is something that
happens in regular life too, to give you an example consider the
following situation: Let's say you want to apply for a job in some
company. The company surely will have some type of application process
which in the most cases consists of the following steps:
* they want to see your CV
* talk to you in order to get to know you better
* check your skills in the field of your profession.
So you see it's almost the _same_ thing here :-) so I wouldn't really
call it complicated cause if you call the NM process complicated than
you would also have to call the process of applying for a regular job
complicated :-)

> I'm not that
> social usually, as i like peace when working and thinking, and there are even
> no Debian developers in my country (Estonia)

:-) I wouldn't say that, you are being social but just in different
ways like writing this mail for example, or by producing free
software. I hope my explanations and _pointers_ to information
can help you in achiving your goal to work for the project :-)

With kind regards

     Igor Boehm

PS.: Any other comments(or corrections of wrong statements I made without
noticing) are welcome :-)

| Igor Boehm,                              |    .''`.     |
| IT Student and Debian user,              |   : :'  :    |
| Johannes Kepler University Linz,         |   `. `'`     |
| E-Mail Business: ij-software@cyberdsl.at |     `-       |
| E-mail Home: igor@cyberdsl.at            | The Swirl Of |
| Web: http://www.igorlinux.org            |   Freedom    |