On replacing orphaned packages

Hi,

When going through the list of orphaned packages looking for something to
adopt, I found several packages which seem to be obsolete - For example,
bugs #151249 and #151250 are respectively filed against libgifgraph-perl
and libiniconf-perl, and they both state that the packages should be
replaced:

GIFgraph has been replaced by GD::Graph - libgd-graph-perl package.

IniConf.pm has been replaced by Config::IniFiles - libconfig-inifiles-perl
package.

Now,  I understand the interfaces may differ, and that programs written
using either GIFgraph and IniConf may need a deep rewrite to use the newer
packages... But if a package becomes obsolete, shouldn't it be better to
contact the developer of programs depending on them suggesting them to
adapt to the supported and actively developed modules?

Should this packages be listed as orphan, or should they be encouraged to
disappear?

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@campus.iztacala.unam.mx - (+52-55)5623-1118