Re: OpenEXR beta packages.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:30:32PM +0100, Jesus Climent wrote:
> They are lintian clean, but linda reports an odd error.

Let me guess,

netsnipe@espresso:/usr/src/debian-devel/active% linda -i
libopenexr0_1.0.4-1_i386.deb
X: libopenexr0; Package name doesn't contain one of the SONAMEs.
 This package isn't named after one of the SONAMEs of the shared
 library, or the SONAME has changed and the package name hasn't.

I talked to StevenK about this and he pointed out that it may be a
Linda bug. X is for experimental after all. My guess is because
libopenexr0 does not contain a libopenexr.so.0 file as such.

> I had a bit of troubles tracking down to bugs already reported to
> upstream:
> * -O2 code cannot be compiled using gcc3.2.

I had no such problem here.

> * exrdisplay segfaults if there are no type1 fonts installed.

Haven't tested this one yet.

> If you manage to find a better solution, please report it.

I already had most of my OpenEXR packages completed before I find out
about your ITP and going through your .diff.gz now, it seems like you
could do with a lot more polishing and some experince.

* Real minor, but why 1.0.4-2 and not -1? Debian doesn't have any
  OpenEXR packages already.

* Upstream's orig tarball contained no config.guess or config.sub, so
  your patch should not include them.

* Remove all those sample and unneccesary debhelper files such as all
  the dirs files and postinst.

* Clean up those commented commands in debian/rules. The aim is to
  keep the diff.gz as small and clean as possbile. It's also better to
  use dh_install instead of dh_movefiles

* Your manpage could at least describe how to use
  exrdisplay. <http://www.openexr.org/using.html> What you have now is
  plain laziness = P

* HTML should go into /usr/share/package/doc/HTML/. I don't think
  they're getting installed anyway since you only have debian/doc and
  not debian/exrdisplay.doc

* Read Junichi Uekawa's Debian Library Packaging guide carefully!
  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html

	Did you pick the name libopenexr1 randomly? The SONAME on
	those libs was 0 as far as I could tell!

	Call the package libopenexr0-dev as well, and
	Provides/Replaces libopenexr-dev as Junichi recommends.

* libopenexr0-dev should Depends: libopenexr0 (= ${Source-Version}),
  xlibmesa-gl-dev, xlibmesa-glu-dev. "grep #include
  /usr/include/OpenEXR/*" to see why.

Please fix all of this as soon as possible. Sorry if I sound
impatient, but I really need to get OpenEXR support into my Film Gimp
0.15-1 packages, and I won't hesitate to upload my packages instead if
I have to. However, I am willing to help you improve (or even
co-maintain) your next batch of OpenEXR packages.

Cheers,
Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau

* Andrew "Netsnipe" Lau              Computer Science & Student Rep, UNSW *
*   # apt-get into it                 Debian GNU/Linux Package Maintainer *
*     <netsnipe(+)debianplanet.org\0>      <alau(+)cse.unsw.edu.au\0>     *
* GnuPG 1024D/2E8B68BD 0B77 73D0 4F3B F286 63F1  9F4A 9B24 C07D 2E8B 68BD *