Re: How to be a great Debian Developer

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:48:19PM -0500, Chad Miller wrote:
> Let me give a personal example:  I wrote a program that uses the XMLRPC
> features of Advogato to edit one's diary there.  People loved it.  There
> are about two dozen people who regularly use it.  I made it into a
> package, and put it in my personal repository, rather than upload it.
> Why?  Because two dozen users isn't important enough to use Debian's FTP
> space.  Our repository is HUGE, almost too big to rsync to some mirrors
> regularly.  That hurts users.  My ego and the convenience of a handful of
> people isn't worth wasting even more space.

Well, on the other hand, having it in the archive gives it more
visibility, and maybe more people will try it out and use it than if you
keep it in a separate repository.

Also when i got into a plan to makes my packages smaller, i was told
that unless we spare 20Mo or something such per arch, it is not worth
it (on this list no less) so i have doubts about a little package being
too much for the ftp archive.

Friendly,

Sven Luther