Re: Sponsor for distributed computation daemon: protein folding

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:38:10PM +0100, Daniel Bonniot wrote:

> The original tar file is huge (22MB) because it contains the (big)
> binaries for three architectures (i386, powerpc and hppa).

You should ask upstream kindly not to do this, and instead ship the binaries
in separate tarballs.  This is a huge waste of space and download time.

> I made the daemon run as user daemon. Since the client needs to write in
> the current directory, I made /usr/lib/distributed-folding/ a
> daemon.daemon owned directory. The script to start the daemon is in
> /usr/sbin. And of course there are init.d scripts to start and stop. Are
> these good options?

Nothing should write to /usr except during package installation or removal.
Read the FHS:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

Compliance with this standard is specified in the Debian Policy Manual:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

--
 - mdz