Re: the right way to uninstall /var/games

Oohara> I maintain a game which saves its high score in /var/games .
Oohara> It creates /var/games in its postinst to avoid dpkg -r
Oohara> "directory not removed because it is not empty" warning.

Colin> I don't think you should worry about that warning. Accept it as
Colin> a bug in dpkg, tell anybody who complains about it that it's a
Colin> bug in dpkg, and make your package behave in the simplest
Colin> possible way.

I agree.  It is a small problem (if one at all) compared to the ones
you already know you'd encounter trying to avoid it.

I think packages should include all its files and directories in their
shipping lists whenever possible; postinst tricks read to unclean
messy hackery and will backfire sooner or later.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }