Re: pbuilder ${shlibs:Depends} yields libc6-2.2.4-4 ???

Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Why does building a package with pbuilder generate the seemingly wrong
> > version for Depends: of 2.2.4-4 regarldless that 2.2.5-11.5 is the
> > installed library?  What am I doing wrong?
>
> Nothing.
>
> rene@frodo:~$ sudo chroot chroots/stable cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.shlibs
> libc 6 libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)

Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I am not unappreciative but
unfortunately I did not find this very informative to me.  Even that
reference to the libc6.shlibs file, while correct, was obtuse to me.
So before the mailling list archive gets split into the new month I
decided I would get another in with an update with an expansion of
this topic.

Digging through the dpkg-shlibdeps perl script and I can see where it
is reading the file you referenced.  Therefore it appears that shared
library packages can specify an ABI version separate from their
installed package version.  The glibc package specifies 2.2.4-4 as the
ABI so that even though version 2.2.5-11.5 is installed.  The
installed value is overridden with the libc6 package specified version
from the shlibs file.

Digging into the glibc package I see that they manually set the ABI
version to 2.2.4-4 in the debian/rules.d/shlibs.mk file.

Now knowing a little more about what to look for I was able to locate
documentation on the process.  Here is the pointer.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#s-sharedlibs-shlibdeps

Thanks again,
Bob