pbuilder ${shlibs:Depends} yields libc6-2.2.4-4 ???

I just recently started using pbuilder.  Previously I have been
maintaining my own chroots as required.  I can see why people
recommend pbuilder.  It is very nice!  But things do not seem to be
operating as I believe they should and I have been unable to figure
this out.  Let me set the stage.

  sudo apt-get install pbuilder
  echo 'MIRRORSITE=' > ~/.pbuilderrc  # MIRRORSITE= my apt-proxy cache
  sudo pbuilder create
  cd # some package directory which uses ${shlibs:Depends} in control
  grep ^Depends: debian/control
  Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
  pdebuild

  dpkg-deb --info /var/cache/pbuilder/result/*.deb |grep Depends:
   Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)

So then in an attempt to resolve this I add DISTRIBUTION=woody to my
$HOME/.pbuilderrc file but I receive the same result.  Why doesn't the
depends show up as 2.2.5-11.5?  So I login to the chroot area to check.

  sudo pbuilder login
  dpkg --status libc6 |grep ^Version:
  Version: 2.2.5-11.5

Really and truly 2.2.5 is installed in the changeroot.  But 2.2.4 is
getting listed as the Depends: for the package getting built.  I
manually built a package in the pbuilder chroot with the same result.
So the problem would seem to me to be in dpkg-shlibdeps in the chroot.
No debian/shlibs.local exists.  The /etc/dpkg/shlibs.default only
contains comments.

My system is mainly woody but does have a variety of backports.
Thinking this might be something related to the version of pbuilder or
debootstrap I updated to the latest pbuilder from unstable (version
0.96) which required a newer debootstrap which I pulled (version
0.2.9.backports.org.1) but with the same result.  And that is when I
decided that someone must have debugged this already and that I would
ask for help.

Why does building a package with pbuilder generate the seemingly wrong
version for Depends: of 2.2.4-4 regarldless that 2.2.5-11.5 is the
installed library?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Bob