Re: Debian diff / Debian Policy (-dev)

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 03:25:10PM +0000, n.v.t n.v.t wrote:
> I noticed that dh_make doesn't create diffs , why is that?

dh_make does not creat debs or .dsc either

> Is there a way
> to (re)generate the the *.diff.gz ?

Manually generate (by simple ranaming of the upstream sources) a
correctly named foo_1.9.orig.tar.gz and dpkg-buildpackage will
generate the corresponding diff.

> How to decide which cflags could be use best?

Policy 10.1.

> Since dh_make created "-O2 -Wall -g" , I can see the point of -O2
> -Wall , but what's the point of -g?

You can run gdb or whatever on the binary in the build-tree (The debug
infos won't end up in the package itself, because it will be stripped.)

[...]
> "The development files associated to a shared library need to be placed in
> a package called librarynamesoversion-dev, or if you prefer only to support
> one development version at a time, libraryname-dev."

> - What's the point of make -dev packages? Is it about the amount of space?

No, that is nice side-effect. But you want to be able to install
versions of the runtimelibrary with different sonames at the same
time, that is only possible if they have no common files. If you did
not split out -dev that would be impossible because both had at least
one common file. - the symlink /usr/lib/libfoo.so.

> Where can I find a
>  more verbose explanation about creating/(separating -dev files)?

The library packaging guide. (referenced in developer's reference.)

[...]
> The development package should contain a symlink for the associated shared
> library without a version number. For example, the libgdbm-dev package
> should include a symlink from /usr/lib/libgdbm.so to libgdbm.so.3.0.0. "

              cu andreas