Re: config.sub and config.guess | .diff.gz bloat

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 13:58, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > debhelper puts the following into the "clean" rule in debian/rules:
> >
> > ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.sub)" ""
> > 	cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.sub config.sub
> > endif
> > ifneq "$(wildcard /usr/share/misc/config.guess)" ""
> > 	cp -f /usr/share/misc/config.guess config.guess
> > endif
>
> It would be cleaner (for the diff) to:
>   1. build-depend on autotools-dev
>   2. use ln -sf instead of cp -f.
>
>   Of course, for that to work, you HAVE to rm -f both files in the
>   clean target, and do the ln -sf before you call configure.

Should I email this to the debhelper script maintainer?

> Anyway, whatever you do, you are to keep these files up-to-date.

Even if the program I'm packaging doesn't use autotools
(I have a vague understanding that perhaps they're needed
for cross-platform autobuilds and have to stay, but haven't
got a clear answer yet...)?

> See the autotools-dev readme file.

thanks
zenaan