Re: Special requirements for scripts in /etc/rcS.d?

Paul Cupis <paul@cupis.co.uk> schrieb:

> On Sunday 02 November 2003 19:30, frank@kuesterei.ch (Frank Küster)
> wrote:
>> I have become the (sponsored) maintainer of netenv, a package that
>> creates a link to it's /etc/init.d/ file in /etc/rcS.d/. Up to
>> recently, it was only depending on stuff in /bin and /sbin. However,
>> as the result of a bug report I have introduced a call to
>> /usr/bin/stat.
>>
>> Now I wonder wether this is correct? I couldn't find anything in the
>> policy, but wanted to be sure: Is it required that scripts in
>> /etc/rcS.d can be cleanly executed even if only / has been mounted,
>> not /usr/?
>
> When exactly does the script run? According to /etc/rcS.d/README, after
> S60 all local and NFS filesystems should have been mounted.

Thank you for pointing me to that. In fact it's started as
/etc/rcS.d/S40netenv, because it is needed before
/etc/rcS.d/S40networking.

This means:

- netenv (as it currently is, using /usr/bin/stat) cannot be used on a
  system that has /usr on an nfs filesystem

- anybody who reasonably wants to use netenv, a program for laptops or
  other portables, will have /usr mounted locally

- still I have to think about a way to prevent harm when somebody
  accidently installs it on a machine using nfs for /usr.

As I don't use nfs at all, I don't know how to figure this out safely
during configure. Can you point me to the right place?

Thanks, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie