Special requirements for scripts in /etc/rcS.d?

Hi,

I have become the (sponsored) maintainer of netenv, a package that
creates a link to it's /etc/init.d/ file in /etc/rcS.d/. Up to recently,
it was only depending on stuff in /bin and /sbin. However, as the result
of a bug report I have introduced a call to /usr/bin/stat.

Now I wonder wether this is correct? I couldn't find anything in the
policy, but wanted to be sure: Is it required that scripts in /etc/rcS.d
can be cleanly executed even if only / has been mounted, not /usr/?

TIA, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie