Re: RFS: libfilesys-smbclient-perl

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 08:23:06PM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> On Friday 31 Oct 2003 19:51, Frank Küster wrote:
> > Amit Shah <shahamit@gmx.net> schrieb:
> > > The orig.tar.gz contains the directory renamed to
> > > libfilesys-smbclient-1.4/. The original one had Filesys-SmbClient-1.4
> > > as the directory. Should I replace the .orig.tar.gz? (There are no
> > > other differences. The files are unchanged.)

> > No, your orig.tar.gz is o.k. AFAIK. But you should explain what you did
> > in README.Debian.

> I just checked some packages. Some of them just the name of the tarball
> changed, some of them have the directory changed too.
>
> Example:
> Just the name changed:
> libdbd-mysql-perl
> 	http://packages.debian.org/unstable/perl/libdbd-mysql-perl.html
>
> The directory renamed:
> libnet-perl:
> 	 http://packages.debian.org/unstable/perl/libnet-perl.html
> linneighborhood:
> 	http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/linneighborhood.html
>
> Seems there aren't any rules which say what to follow. I checked the policy
> manual and the developers' ref. manual, couldn't find anything which states
> what's the convention.

In ancient times dpkg-source required that the tarfile contained
foo-<version>.orig, but this happened a long time ago (pre-slink?).
Today it is not necessary just repack just get foo-<version>.orig/
and should not be done. - Having pristine upstream sources is a really
nice thing to have, you can check MD5sums and pgp-signatures.
           cu andreas