RFS gdal

Hallo!

I'm looking for a sponsor for gdal:

 GDAL is a translator library for raster geospatial data formats
 that is released under an Open Source license. As a library, it
 presents a single abstract data model to the calling application
 for all supported formats. The related OGR library (which lives
 within the GDAL source tree) provides a similar capability for
 simple features vector data.

I know that it is rather unusual to package a library without being
an official debian maintainer but gdal is a very important library
necessary for example for some features of my package thuban [1] as well
as for grass [2]. Furthermore gdal is used for many GIS-applications
that ar not in debian.

Paul Baker filed an ITP some time ago [3]. I got in contact with him
and Alessandro who packaged a great part of the package that I
present here. I spoke with both and they agree that I should take
maintainership of gdal.

You can find all package related files on
	ftp://ftp.intevation.de/users/silke/debian/gdal-1.2+cvs.031016/

Greetings,

	Silke

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/thuban.html
[2] http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/grass.html