Splitting a package

I've been in some discussion with another developer. He's decided it would
be nice to split out some interface modules for a package. These modules
constitute reasonably small single files and copies of the relevant
documentation.

I'm of the opinion that a few KB is too small for a .deb that could be
part of a larger .deb. The advantages however are fewer "dependencies"
which I believe should be marked as "Suggests:" in the larger package.

So my questions:
What's a good general guideline about splitting packages these days?

Split packages for these modules would defiantly have some large language
"Depends:", would it be good enough for a larger package to merely suggest
these or should they be recommended or even depended upon? Imo these
modules wouldn't be used much.

Thanks

     Drew Daniels