Re: Splitting a package

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:51:12PM +0200, Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta wrote:

> I'd like to know if this justifies splitting a package. AFAIK the
> size or the existence of shared libs justify splitting a package, but
> not this.
>
> I've got a package that contains a command line program and a couple of
> front-ends (motif and KDE) for it. This makes neccessary to install
> lots of KDE libs even if you're only using the command line program.
>
> Would all this Depends justify splitting it into the command line
> package and the front-ends one?

It is up to you, based on your knowledge of the package and its users, to
decide if this makes sense.  For example, if the purpose of the CLI is to
allow the software to be used without KDE, then it would be sensible to
provide it in a separate package to be used with KDE.  If it is a program
which is meant to be used with the KDE portions, and isn't very useful
without them, then it would not make sense.

--
 - mdz