Re: proper way to pack package from multiple sources?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:35:03AM +0200, Magosányi Árpád wrote:
> The syslog-ng package consists of two sources: syslog-ng itself, and
> libol.
> Now the packege is created by unpacking syslog-ng, dropping the libol
> tar.gz into the source tree, and adding the debian dir.
> It follows that either I build a package which looks like a native
> debian package or dpkg-source complains about unrepresentable changes
> to source.
> I don't want to package libol separately, as it is deprecated:
> it is used only by syslog-ng and bwall. The devel version of syslog-ng
> does not use it, and bwall's only proxy (ck-gw) made obsolete by the
> ZAS authentication method of Zorp.
>
> Question: what is the proper way to package syslog-ng?
>
> I was even thinking about converting libol.tar into quoted-printable:)

Does libol change from Debian-revision to Debian-revision, i.e.
syslog-ng 1.5.4-2 contains libol-12.3 and syslog-ng 1.5.4-3 contains
libol-12.4?

If yes you would need to keep libol in the diff.gz, i.e. use
uu-encoding (iirc dbs supports this[1]).

If no I would simply repack the orig.tar.gz to keep the debian-diff
small:
$ wget www.syslog.ng.org/syslog-12.tar.gz
$ tar xzf syslog-12.tar.gz
$ cp /path/to/libol.tar.gz syslog-12/
$ printf "Modified orig.tar.gz generated by [explanation]\n" > \
syslog-12/README.Debian.generating.orig.tar.gz
$ tar czf syslog_12.orig.tar.gz syslog-12/
$ cd syslog-12
$ generate debian/ subdir
$ dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -rfakeroot
           cu andreas
[1] But dbs requires repacking the original source, too.
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"